THE WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD
Can you name the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World? Don't panic if you can't. With modern monuments, the Seven Wonders of the Middle Ages, and the world's Seven Natural Wonders in the mix, very few people can sort out these astounding ancient architectural feats. What makes it even harder is that only one still exists.
by mythology, religion and
art, ancient civilizations undertook these seven imposing projects from
about 2700 B.C. to about 270 B.C. Only one, the Egyptian Pyramids at
Giza, has survived View this timeline
of the Pharaohs.
earthquakes, conquests and the ravages of
time have led to the others' demise.
The Temple at Artemis
ancient Greeks and Romans are said
to have initiated the original "Seven Wonders" list, perhaps as an
early travel guide of sorts. Over time, the inventory was added to and
culled, then finally "completed" during the Middle Ages. Classical
writers later disagreed on the final list, but the following seven
works of art and architecture were among those most commonly included.
NEW- Recently divers have discovered remains of the lighthouse at Pharos, and the ruins of the residence of Cleopatra. Review the following article Alexandria Lighthouse Ruins Discovered
relatively few drawings
sketches exist of the wonders that vanished, so archaeologists have
relied on ancient tales and literary works to get an idea of their
appearance and history.
these video clips
to get a better understanding of the Glories of
out of seven Ancient Wonders did
to this present day. Human imagination urged poets, writers, and
to seek "replacements" for the fallen monuments. Some proposed a new
for the Seven Wonders of the Modern World. Others argued that Ancient
which the Greeks did not know of, erected monuments that should have
included in the original list. Wonders such as the Great Wall of China,
Mahal in Agra, and the Temple of Angkor in Cambodia are a few examples.
the ancient list, the new ones
include fascinating monuments and structures that changed the existing
landscape. However, no single list won unanimous approval among
historians, artists, and architects. Here is an alphabetical listing of
some Forgotten, Modern, and Natural Wonders. NEW The UNESCO World
Heritage List has 729
sites throughout the world that should be
Travel to World Wonders
A. European World Wonders Destinations
European ITT and USO Information
1. Mildenhall RAF England- Bus or Train to Stonehenge, Channel Tunnel, Big Ben, Mont Saint Michel- and Eiffel Tower, Paris (by Eurostar or Ferry). Check with ITT office.
2. Ramstein AB+Rhein Main Germany- Eiffel Tower, Paris - Auto or Train. Also view the many German Castles. Check with ITT office and USO for tours.
3 Naples NAS, Italy- Bus or Train to Leaning Tower of Pisa, Mount Vesuvius, and Pompei. Check with ITT office and USO for tours.
4.Aviano AB Italy- Train or bus to Venice. Train to Rome to see Roman Collesium and Ferry to Greece to Visit the Parthenon and other Greek Antiquities. Check with ITT office and USO for Tours.
5. Souda Bay NAS, Crete- Plane, or ferry to Athens and Egypt including the Parthenon, Ancient Grecian Sites, Egyptian antquities such as the pyramids, the Alexandria Lighthouse. Also the Aswam Dam. Check with ITT office and USO for Tours.
6. Sigonella NAS, Sicily- Train to Rome, Plane or Ferry to Egypt (see above).Check with ITT office and USO for Tours.
B. Pacific World Wonders Destinations
Pacific ITT and USO Information
1. Hickam AB, Hawaii- Go to the Big Island to visit the volcanos.
2. Richmond RAAF, Australia- To see the Great Barrier Reef and the Sydney Opera House/
3. Yokota AB, Japan- To see Mount Fuji and visit China to see the Great Wall.
4. Singapore- Visit Kuala Lumpur to see the
Petronas Towers., and Cambodia to see Angkor Wat
5. Don Muang AB-Visit India to see the Taj Mahal.
C. CONUS World Wonders Destinations
1. McGuire AB, NJ and Willow Run NAS, PA-- Visit NYC and see the Empire State Bldg. and the Statue of Liberty
2. Brunswick NAS- Visit New Brunswick, Canada to see the Bay of Fundy
3. Scott AB, IL- Visit St. Lous to see the Gateway Arch.
4. Luke AB AZ and Nellis AB NV- Visit the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam.
5. Travis AB, CA- Visit San Fransico to see the Golden Gate Bridge, the Big Sur, and Yosimite.