Hickam Hawaii Lodging
Information ( from Hawaii USO email)
"The USO has ALL the necessary information. Here are a few
suggestions that you can pass on to Space A travelers:
1. Pearl Harbor is just around the corner. For a single individual
Space A lodging is almost always available at Arizona
Hall. The facility is near the main gate and easily accessible by bus.
It has been a long time since I heard of anyone
being turned away. I don't know the present price, but I do know it is
2. On Pearl Harbor is the Submarine Base. These facilities are nicer
and available for couples.Easy to get to and at a good
3 .Sandwiched between the above two facilities is the Pearl Harbor NCO
quarters. The cab fare is around $8.00. The
bus is also available, but with limited carry-on privileges.
4. Tripler Army Hospital has lodging at the Guest House. These quarters
are available but on a limited basis. The only travelers who try
Tripler are the ones who rent a car.
5. Ft Shafter has lodging, but on a limited basis. Even though it's
close to the Airport's it takes a long time to travel to Ft
Shafter by bus. Again, the cost of traveling back and forth could cost
more than it's worth.
6. The Marine Corp Air Station or Scofield Barracks? These are almost
always available, but travelers do not want to be on the other side of
the island. The cost would be out of sight. But, these quarters are
there for the
asking, but go empty a lot of times.
7. There are numerous cottages through out the island. Almost all
require a car and spending a few dollars.
8. The Hale Koa at Ft DeRussy, can be had with only a telephone call.
The Hotel request a 6 months prior reservation, but you can call the
front desk and get a room. This is always a 50/50 chance. I normally
suggest hotels near the Hale Koa, they are just as nice and cheaper.
With a valid I.D. card an individual can utilize the facilities.
9. There are many hotel specials. The Marc chain is offering a two for
one deal. Stay one night and the second night is free. Other hotels are
offering half price specials.
USO OF HAWAII, INC.
Honolulu International Airport
300 Rodgers Blvd. #48
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819-1897
Connie G. Kraus, Executive Director